Saturday, January 24, 2009

WAITING.........



It has been an interesting week to say the least!

My grandson Luke, who is 6, has been sick now for 10 days. He has been to the ER about 3 times and the pediatrician about 5 times and to the Infectious Disease clinic once and scheduled back there Monday. No one can figure out what is wrong with him. His diagnosis went from strep, to scarlet fever, to mono, to who knows??? So far all three types of hepatitis have been ruled out, but he has viral hepatitis. He tested negative for both types of viruses that cause mono. Yet he is still very ill. With a locked knee, fever, rash, blurry vision......
Yesterday we took him back to UM ER so yet another set of Drs. could look at him. We waited in the ER holding area for about 2 1/2 hours. I think we'd still be waiting if my patience hadn't run out. I really don't even remember what I said to the clerk at that point - maybe it was the look on my face or my stink eye - but suddenly Luke was called back. (I did notice that the psych intake area was right around the corner.) They called his case "interesting" - I think that is Dr. code for "we don't have a clue".


I am not good at waiting. I want to know what is wrong and I want to know yesterday! I want to see his sassy face again!!!

No comments: