Monday, December 1, 2008

UP NORTH

Tom & I went up north after Thanksgiving. Well.....the next day actually. It was so stinking cold when we got there that my olive oil turned back to a solid...not quite an olive but no longer oil either!
Even though it was freezing cold we still went to the beach. This is a photo of Lake Michigan. Taken through the truck window. You didn't think I was going to get out to take a picture did you??
Thank goodness I remembered to bring Murphy's coat. She's cute isn't she?? Tom thinks she looks stupid. At least a hunter won't have any excuse to mistake her for a deer or squirrel or other wild life.
This contraption is something Tom rigged up a number of years ago so that we could have water during the winter. It only partway does what you'd expect. For example it does allow you to flush the toilet. And....well I guess that's it. Which is still better than lugging buckets of lake water up the hill! This thing is powered by our boat battery so every time you flush the battery runs the pump motor and people in the next county will know that you've just used the toilet. We have to use bottled water for drinking, coffee, brushing teeth, etc. If you're wondering about bathing - my answer is hahahaha! So after three days I was really ready to be home if only just to take a long hot shower.
So you KNOW I wasn't happy to slippy slide home Sunday afternoon in heavy slow traffic. Worried that if we crashed the EMS and hospital personnel would think that we had terrible hygiene! Do you know how hard it is to wash your hands in a coffee mug??? And gross!!


Anyways, we had a great time. We were extra grateful to make it home alive. And it's been a long time since a shower felt sooo good! By the way, the weather was beautiful on Saturday - I'll try and post photos from then later!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I see the bottle says 'first cold press', I don't think it meant that is should be solid though. Glad you had a great weekend, even though everyone around knew you went pottie.